I love you Khalida
while gathering the mat in the dawn hours
in the morning I can see the depth of an ocean in your eyes
when noise of the hand pump echoes in the slum
your looks tremble me
why you look so beautiful in this morning hours
and see, how petite is my morning
The children would be rushing
to the ice-cream vendor
in the recess time of their school
I have to reach there
Yaa.. Allah..
If there were no school in this world!!!
(In the Original in Oriya I titled this poem as “The Ice-cream Vendor”. Here I prefer it to be Khalida, such a beautiful name, isn’t it?. I know, I have failed to recreate it in English.)
while gathering the mat in the dawn hours
in the morning I can see the depth of an ocean in your eyes
when noise of the hand pump echoes in the slum
your looks tremble me
why you look so beautiful in this morning hours
and see, how petite is my morning
The children would be rushing
to the ice-cream vendor
in the recess time of their school
I have to reach there
Yaa.. Allah..
If there were no school in this world!!!
(In the Original in Oriya I titled this poem as “The Ice-cream Vendor”. Here I prefer it to be Khalida, such a beautiful name, isn’t it?. I know, I have failed to recreate it in English.)

25 comments:
Nothing wrong with the title. Can you send me the original in Oriya in the ROMAN SCRIPT? I can't read Oriya!
oh, this is lovely!
I think you did a great job of writing it in English. :)
oh no, you're getting junk mail! You may want to put on that thing where people have to copy a list of letters to post (can't remember what that's call) That would take care of this kind of things.
Yep, you need to select word verification. Amalendue, excellent in any language!!!
Thank you Gautami...Soon I will send you the Oriya one...
Thank you Polona...
Thanks Andrew...I will soon use the word verification mode... I hope that will restrict the junks coming in...
Thank you Pat.. I will soon use word verifications..
Thanks Amalendu for that Oriya poem.
Kahinki bujhibini, muun to puni oriya?
SO what if I have almost all my life in Delhi?
Why didn't my email work? Let me send you this to your email.
This is lovely, Amalendu.
I wonder how it sounds in its original language..It must be beautiful
Khalida is an amazing name to us in arab world khalida or khulood all means someone remains even after, of course his repution not only his spirit...Im not sure I explained well...
How i wish I can be there to watch khalida too
Im having a tribute to poetry I hope u can join or share
www.livinginpoetry.blogspot.com
Nasra
Thank you Aurora....
Dear Nasra:
Some one asked me the meaning of Khalida. I really never thought about it, apart, it sounds so nice. After a hectic search I was immensely satisfied with the fact that it means ETERNITY.
Thank you for confirming this...
I will be honoured to join www.livinginpoetry.blogspot.com. Let me know what should I do.....
i love the way you celebrate everyday people in your poems. i love the way you bring out the poetry of the commonplace scene...few would be even aware of that.
a beautiful poem and carries your mark too. :)
Thank you Gulnaz, I loved the way you reviewed my poems...
Do not, repeat, do not send it to me in Oriya. One, I wouldn't understand a thing, and two, the English version is a beautiful piece in its own right. If the original version is better, then WOW!
I remember running behind those ice-cream carts as a kid too...your style is unique Amal...Oriya or English, poetry is above the barrers of language. Beautiful.
Thank you rethabile and welcome...I went through your blog and will soon comeback again...I enjoyed reading the poem by Chinua Achebe, though have read a few of his novels...
Thank you again...
I value your words Kranti...nice to know that this poem could refresh your memories...
o.k., it's about time for another poem. :)
I agree....
Khalida..such a nice name -- I liked it more than 'ice cream vendor' even as your lines took to me the old man -- the icream vendor who used to be outside the school gate when we had lunch breaks ...
So well written!
I see a depth of ocean in your lines...not just here..in many. please pardon if its an understatement...treat it a novice's observation...
Just reached here from Pat's. The name too struck -- 'Amalendu.' I had read sometime in the early 1980s an autobiography of a Brtish woman, who married an Indian -- a Amalendu' and suffered five years in an Indian prison in Bengal, if I remember correct....'Five years in an Indian Prison' was the name of the book...I was in my early teens then...and its now I come across an other Amalendu..that brought me here...
and I see such fine poetry...
Thanks!
I too blog. One is what I prefer to call 'Socio-Politically Inclined Onlooker’ - just some issues (lack of time to put down all) that touch me –just an onlooker, not an expert in any discipline and not very sure if my views are right in the larger picture. Why I say – perhaps I could learn from an expert …I have learned your profile :-))
The other is – A Certain Kind of Woman – my writings which includes some poetry..Do I call them so, after reading these? leaving to you…:-)
I know you are busy, but please do take some time to be at my place too..
See you again here…more of you!
Thank you Devika...for such a vivid interesting narration....In fact, I trailed you from top to bottom of all my poems and leaved your hand prints in some of those....this also made me re-read some of these poems...you may not believe re-reading after a gap gives a different pleasure to your own poem....I am loving to discover...or perhaps re-discover 'amalendu' in your eyes...I will look for that book...and now, its time to visit your blog....I am sure you will re-visit whenever something new I add...
Thank you so much devika....
Post a Comment