Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A poem I did not want to write…

An untold event

started roaming in the head

She,

a small little girl

till yesterday

took a few steps

towards the river

I call her Shyamalee

This poem is incomplete, if,

she does not take bath in the river

and

climb the steps in wet clothes

I wrote this again and again


I resoled to see her in my favourite colour

and thought,

her hair should be untied

I kept returning

to Kelo, my river

time and again

where

my mother’s soul is at rest

Now, when I attempt

to see her in my ways

I do not find Shyamalee

The little shop-owner

across the river

told me today,

'she committed suicide.

Post-mortem report says

she was pregnant of six month

at the time of death'.

She is buried here

by the municipality workers

somewhere near the Neem tree

adjacent to the hillock...

23 comments:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

sad yet beautiful --- what is the meaning of Shyamalee? Is that a name, or does it mean something else? I hate it that I don't know more languages!

Amalendu said...

Thank you Andrew...Shyamalee is a name which associated with the beauty of darkness, something black in colour...

Pat Paulk said...

Very, very sad. Never could be a poem anyone would want to write. You did it very well!!

gautami tripathy said...

This touches me. As I am dusky, my dad used to call me shyama at times.

gautami tripathy said...

I linked your blog to mine. It was long overdue!

Anonymous said...

A tragic write!

gulnaz said...

so poignant and yet so achingly beautiful!

happy new year!

polona said...

so beautiful in its saddness...

Amalendu said...

Thank You Pat... Ever since I wrote it I have this dilemma of good poem and tragic aspect. I don't know how many times a Poet has to fight with 'the self' on such creations...

Amalendu said...

Thank you Gautami... Shama is such a nice name. I am honoured that you linked me...
Thank you

Amalendu said...

Perhaps poets say it gracefully... Thank you Aurora...

Amalendu said...

Thank you Gulnaz... Happy New year and
Id Mubarak...

Amalendu said...

Thank you Polona...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Lettershaper said...

Very much enjoyed my time spent strolling through your site...as a poet and an avid reader, I found it both enlightening and enriching. I thank you...

Brood Mode said...

Really dark and sad. Nicely done

iamnasra said...

This is so sad...
The name as you explained Shyamalee sound poetic

Amalendu said...

With Hammer And Tong: Thank you for dropping in...I hope you will comeback again...

Amalendu said...

Thank you Brood Mode...

Amalendu said...

Iamnasra: Thank you...

Devika Jyothi said...

This made me cry...

but, I still love to read it again, Amalendu..

thanks!
devika

Anonymous said...

well shyamolee....dats my name.. kinda touched me...ur poem... very beautiful......

Amalendu said...

Thank you Shyamolee for coming by....it is nice to know a real person existing in this name....I am in love with this name....