I love you Khalida
while gathering the mat in the dawn hours
in the morning I can see the depth of an ocean in your eyes
when noise of the hand pump echoes in the slum
your looks tremble me
why so you look
so beautiful in this morning hours
and see,
how petite is my morning
The children would be rushing to the ice-cream vendor
in the recess time of their school
I have to reach there
Yaa.. Allah..
If there were no school in this world!!!
(In the Original in Oriya I titled this poem as “The Ice-cream Vendor”. Here I prefer it to be Khalida, such a beautiful name, isn’t it?. I know, I have failed to recreate it in English.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
would like to read the oriya one soon
me too. though this reads good, but as a prose piece
I liked it. :)
Hey...
Tukun.. I think I have lost the actual Oriya one. I could only remeber a part of it and translated it. Will search it and if I find post it here. Bunny dear.. I will read out the Oriya one to you if get it. Thank god you said its like prose not prosaic.
Thanks l>t for your nice words.
i liked it again. :)
well i dont speak oriya but can probably comprehend it...so will love to read the original...but u have managed to create eloquant images in this one...and yes khalida is a very beautiful name...
ps.thanks for visitin my dying blog...
Here is the Oriya one titled icecream-bala
Mu tumaku bhalapaye khalida
Sakalara bichana tume sauntilabele
Nalakua ra khad khad sabda
Basti bhitare kampi uthila bele
Sahala sahala bichana uparu
Uthipadila bele.
Masina gudau gudau
Tuma akhee re dekhi hue
Sakalia samudra ra bhanguthiba lahadi
Rati ra garjana nahin
Purapuri shanta, lajakuli lata bhali.
Tume kahinikee sakalu sakalu ete bhala laga je?
Aau dekhata
Mora sakalata kete chota
Pilamane
Khelachuti pare pare
Dhaun thibe icecreambala pakhaku
Mote ta pahanchibaku heba sethare.
He allha! E duniyare school jadi ntha-anta!!!
(Strangely I found it published in one of the unknown oriya magazine called “Srotaswatee”, published from Bolangir, strange… but I found it. Can you read and understand it? Let me know)
the oriya reads so much better i just can't tell. with my lil comprehension of the language i can say its beautifully written
Some one asked me the meaning of Khalida. I really never thought about it, apart it sounds so nice. After a hectic search I was immensely satisfied with the fact that it means ETERNITY.
Post a Comment