[This is one of my earlier posts that I am republishing with a thought that some of my friends who missed it may feel like reading. This may be considered as an extension of the discussion on one of the Poems by David Matthews in Magna]
Now when I am no more writing poems, an abysmally void thought peeps into the mind, ‘Poetry does nothing to this world’. But somebody in the corner reminds me that it may be true that poetry may not make anything happen, but it survives. It may not help our world in a great sense, it may be fragile, but it extends in the wave of feeling, thought, and depth of relationship. Poetry may not have any practical consequence in its’ worst situation, yet it succeeds in the most difficult task of all – it “stretches the mind”.
During this dogmatic war of thoughts, two poets who instantly touch my inner breath are Pablo Neruda and Ramakanta Rath. Two great, one belonging to Chile, the Latin America and the other, native of Orissa of this subcontinent. My attempt here is not to produce an analogy of the poets. It is even true that I am incapable of putting them into the critical dissection of literary criticism. What I can do is what they do to me, i.e., stretch my mind, provoke me to feel not their words but the sculpture portrayed in these words. The cynicism of thought that words are the most inferior mode of communication stands unreal, when one starts reading Viente Poemas de Amo of Neruda, written way back in 1924, when he was a young boy of 20, still continuing his study at Santiago. He says “Everyday you play with the light of the Universe. Subtle visitor, you arrive in the flower and water…. You are like nobody since I love you…. … my words rained over you, stroking you…. Until I even believe that you own the universe…. I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.” Imagine these words spoken by ”Sri Radha”, as created by Rath.
Radha’s love for Krishna is unmatched. But for sometimes I was confused that what is so great about her love for Krishna. Perhaps, the greatness lies in loving someone, when you know that you won’t get him or her. Radha knew that Krishna could not be her alone. He has certain duties to perform in this world. In spite of knowing this fact, she loved him. The conscious mind which knows the truth of not getting, can not love. Perhaps this made her love for Krishna so great. The poet, whose words can reflect this thought, as if Radha herself is speaking, definitely has grown with the words, its nomenclature, semantics, and poetry, not being slave rather mastering them to make others feel that words are not the inferior mode of communication.
Rath’s creation of Sri Radha is considered to be a masterpiece of Oriya literature in this era. For long Radha’s feeling not only for Krishna but also her worldview, which was taken for granted becomes lively with Rath’s Sri Radha, where the protagonist (i.e. Radha) speaks herself.
A poet writes in the far south of America in mid 1920’s in his youthful years, and the other writes in a corner of this subcontinent in early 1990’s in his 50’s. Yet, the resonance created in these words take the same form, radiate the same feeling, penetrate the soul in same fashion. One writes in Spanish, the other in Oriya. What else can be more binding which withstands time, region, culture and language. For instance, when Neruda say’s
To night I can write the saddest lines.
Write, for example, ‘the night is shattered’
and the blue stars shiver in the distance.’
The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.
How truly it can be understood for Radha waiting for Krishna to come to Yamuna. Like all other times he does not keep unto the time. He enjoys making Radha restless, making her wait, when he knows that how painful it would be to wait. When the anger, sadness, and love all mingle in the same eyes, how it can be better expressed then
She loved me, sometimes I loved her too.
How can one not have loved her great still eyes.
To night I can write the saddest lines
To think that I do not have her. To feel that I have lost her.
When the waiting grows to passion and Radha is at the verge of breaking down, that somewhere she hears the music of the magical flute. She disbelieves herself, as it happened several times before. And the verses go like this;
To hear the immense night, still more immense without her
And the verse falls to the soul like dew to the pasture.
What does it matter that my love could not keep her.
The night is shatter and she is not with me.
This is all. In the distance someone is singing. In the distance.
Every time it happens that Krishna plays his flute somewhere in the distance and does not appear. Waiting becomes Radha’s destiny, and perhaps she may be saying it better in Neruda’s words.
My sight searches for her as though to go to her.
My heart looks for her, and she is not with me.
The same night whitening the same trees.
……….
Love is so short, forgetting is so long.
How true it is for Neruda, that true it is for Rath. The pain is same for them, their characters, their readers. Poetry releases the pain and that is why it unites. But, whom? The characters like million others on the street, in the slum, in the hills and mountains, in the desert, who came as poetry through the words. May they be from Chile or Mexico, may be from Africa, Vietnam or Ireland; all similar, in their suffering, in their poverty, in their pain. We resemble the pastoralist in Chile with the leather worker in Mexico to a rickshaw-puller in Calcutta to a freedom fighter in Ireland, in the verses of the poets, like the one of Neruda,
Though this be the last pain that she makes me suffer
And these the last verse that I write for her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

25 comments:
This is an interesting and compelling essay. However, I must disagree with you on one thing: I believe that poetry does make a difference in our lives. Firstly, it makes the world a more palatable place, and secondly, in order to change men's actions, first their hearts must be won, and poetry does just that. In other words, Alamendu, I believe that your poetry makes a HUGE difference in the world, and I, for one, am grateful for it.:) Thanks for making a corner of this world a more beautiful place.
I just saw this -- it's midnight here now, so I'm going to come back tomorrow and read it all -- looks very interesting - thanks for bringing it back :)
Very interesting piece, Amalendu. I have always wondered about the power of words. Where exactly does the power reside. Is it in the sounds, the context, the associations that we make?
Thanks, though anonymity is something disheartening...
Aurora thanks for your intriguing comments. I tend to agree with you. In fact, in my write-up started with the hypothesis that poetry does nothing to this world. And, at the end in the process of puting two poets work, I profusely rejected this hypothesis.
Thanks again Aurora....
looking forward to Andrew-:)...
May be ALL river...in a dynamic and ever-changing world what is required is the skilled craftsmanship that captures the uncertainties without losing out the essence...
Thank you river...
I am sure your trip to Landour was enjoyable...
Nothing "disarrayed" with this!! You have beautifully expressed the difference we all can make in comparing and discussing two great poets. Words start wars,destroy friendships, make love, heal, hurt...a great write!!
read this yesterday but didn't know what to say... had to come for a reread.
aurora has a point, but then so do you. what was written in one part of the world can be of significance in the other.
words have a tremendous power and it's important that we use them in the way to make this world a better place to live...
Thank you a lot Pat...There is a book titled "SIDDHARTHA" by Hermann Hesse a German writer and Nobel laureate and the book is on an ancient Indian context. This book makes one feel that words are the most inferior mode of communication. Though the irony is he makes us feel this through words only.
Polona thank you...
What to say: Like for example, when we say this is a pencil, it would be a partial expression of truth. This is a pencil can also mean this is not a horse, tree, sky or anything else. Words express partially, but the feeling of a language is a sense of completeness. This would perhaps be the essential difference between knowledge and wisdom. Arguments, debates therefore stem from a sense of incompleteness. Poetry, if we view as a combination of words would therefore be different (and partial) from poetry as a language. I hope, my words do not sound like preaching....
What a dissertation of sorts, I love that
Thank you Dr. Ng for your kind words...
I remember it was in a peanuts comic strip when Charlie told Lucy that her art did not make any difference to the world, the sun still rises and it still sets, where upon Lucy looked to the sky and said"But the sky is more blue!" I totally echo AA , perhaps if you follow my present series you will come to one poem that talks about the usefulness of poems.......bless you and your art of making the world a richer and more beautiful place, the sky more blue!
I am waiting for your next post.....
i cannot even begin to tell you how much i loved this post!
Everyday you play with the light of the Universe. Subtle visitor, you arrive in the flower and water…. You are like nobody since I love you…. … my words rained over you, stroking you…. Until I even believe that you own the universe…. I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.” these lines by neruda are achingly beautiful!
Updates please! :D
Dr. Ng, Dear Gulnaz and river: I am sorry as I was entangled in family and work both being a new change for me. Soon I will have something to get going.....
Powerful, stirring, and wonderful! Thank you!
Thank you Don...
This ia amazing ..I did not read it before...
Im thankful for what poetry had brought into my life
I hope you can share your thoughts in my tribute to poetry
www.livinginpoetry.blogspot.com
I would like to share this with livingpoetry, Iamnasra...
Hi Amalendu!
Thank you so much for guiding me to this!
It reinforces my belief in words, love, poetry, life...
I am one who'd lost faith in words..words seemed so void, when it were broken time and again...
Used to write very early in my life,,.and then left it because it just left me, me alone, shattered...
But I always beleived in the power of dreams..and then suddenly last month or the last I started writing again....as if awaken from a long dream...
and when I got connected to thhe fine minds of poets, like you, Polona, Andrew,Janice, Firebird, Gulnaz, Pat, Whisperer (the list is getting longer as days pass) I feel words, as dreams has power..and poetry stretches our mind, and it extends itself to reach out...
I was never sure to call my verse poetry...but then your kind words instill a confidence in me..and these notes help me understand poetry and its possibilities more...
Neruda had been my favourite always...Rath -- is an English translation or version available? let me know Amalendu..
and thanks once for again for this!
I will be going through all as I get time..
see you again
devika
Thank you devika for your kind words...I for feel poetry can make a lot of difference in our thought and mind....Neruda is definitely incomparable so as any poet...Rath's writing in Oriya is achingly beautiful. His masterpiece, if I call so, Sri Radha is translated in English by the author himself. It is, I believe available in the market as I myself bought a copy long time back. But, as I can read Oriya, I feel for it more than the English one. Thank you again for sparing time here...I would be waiting for your scribble in other poem whenever you read those.
Thank you again...
Hi Amalendu!
thank you for that kind respone...
i will try for the English version of Sri Radha next time i go to book stall.
i will also surely leave my mark, as and when I read other poems here..mostly I do that during weekends...
Meantime, My Socio-Political blog is updated..There I call in distress for Krishna..perhaps it might interest you..do read when time allows...
until I come next time..
Wihes!
devika
Post a Comment