Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Journey

The words
Remained
Untalked
In spite of several attempts

The Woman
in the next door
Walked in the alley
the way
She had gone several times
Unnoticed

The returning gale
Carried a few leaves with it
The sky did not change its colour
for hours together

Things went
Unnoticed
in the
Mournful Verandah of the afternoon

She turned her side in the bed
And, saw the slippers
One above the other
Thinking that
This will bring
Some good news.

12 comments:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

This one is powerful! I love how it quietly ends...

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

p.s.- Great to see your work back!! :)

Amalendu said...

Thanks Andrew. I too liked it for its quiet ending..

~Nitoo Das~ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I like this one!

Welcome back, Shyamalee. You were missed.

Amalendu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amalendu said...

Thanks Aurora,
I was in the process of leaving Ahmedabad, and taking up a new assignment in Bangalore. In the mean time, had a bad accident and fractured my collarbone. Now almost recovered to say I am here to read, feel and experience all your words and images.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are better, but sorry that you were hurt at all!

Amalendu said...

~River~ said...
Slippers one over the other?
Where I come from, it signifies a journey in the near future.

How would the idea of a journey contrast with the "quiet" ending that you (and I too) like?

7:57 PM

Amalendu said...

Hi river welcome,
Due to my uncomfortable hand position and by mistake your comments got deleted, so as my replies. I am glad that I could retrieve your comments though not in its original form. Ya.. in my place too it symbolizes the same and that’s why I tempted it to call Journey. And to this quite ending I feel it is not as quite as it appears to be!!!

Pat Paulk said...

This is very good!! Like Andrew I like how it quietly ends.

Amalendu said...

Thank you Pat...